Sometimes we buy an Xbox game that we don’t like at all, or we get a game as a gift when it’s not really what we wanted. Please note that it is possible to get a refund for an Xbox game, we explain how to do it in this article as well as the conditions for doing so.
Refund for an Xbox digital game purchased from the Microsoft Store
Many people don’t know, but it is possible to get a refund for a game bought in the Microsoft Store. And since it is a game that is directly installed on your console, there is therefore no disc left over. It is therefore necessary to contact Microsoft, which has set up a refund program.
Beware though, there are conditions and you shouldn’t expect the latest Call of Duty to be refunded to you after completing the single player campaign. Here are the two conditions for requesting a refund:
- The refund request must be made within 14 days of the purchase date of the game
- The request must be for a game where you “have not accumulated significant play time”
This last point is therefore subject to Microsoft’s discretion. Note that digital game refunds include Microsoft Store digital game deals, Xbox apps (excluding movies and TV apps), digital game bundles, durable digital game content, and digital game consumables, whether accessed through the Xbox console, your PC, or your mobile unit.
Steps to request a refund
- 1. Go to the Microsoft refund request page.
- 2. Select the game(s) you wish to be refunded
- 3. Select the reason for the request (accidental purchase, content not working…) and enter your email address.
- 4. Select the reason for the request (accidental purchase, content not working…) and enter your email address.
- 5. Validate and wait for Microsoft to process the request. It can take up to 72 hours.
If the refund request is accepted, the refund will be made directly to your account and you will no longer have access to the refunded content.
Also note that it may take a few hours for new purchases to appear in the list. It is therefore possible that the game to be refunded may not appear if you purchased it less than 24 hours ago. If you have the order number for your purchase, you can submit a refund request on this page.
Refund terms and conditions
- Refunds are generally issued for requests made within 14 days of purchase for games where you have not accrued significant play time.
- For disposable items (such as consumables and in-game currency), your claim may only qualify if the consumable has not been traded or used.
- There are often limits on the number and type of refunds allowed and the financial compensation that Microsoft can provide to buyers in a given year.
- If you do not have access to the account that made this purchase, please contact your bank for a refund.
- Microsoft provides refunds for digital game products as part of a “consistent and reliable” shopping experience. However, if refunds appear to be incorrect, Microsoft reserves the right to stop providing such refunds unless required by law.
Refund for an Xbox game purchased as a pre-order
If you pre-ordered a game before it was released, the cancellation process is much easier. All you have to do is cancel the pre-order at least 10 days before the game launches.
If there are less than 10 days left before the game’s release, then you must wait for its release to request a refund. You will be charged the price of the game and you will need to request a refund as explained above.
Refund for a physical Xbox game (disc) purchased online
If you have purchased a physical game on the Internet (games sold in a box, containing a disc or a code), then you can exercise your right of withdrawal.
The right of withdrawal is covered by French law, it concerns purchases via the Internet, telephone or post. If you exercise this right, the seller must reimburse you for the goods or services ordered.
The buyer does not have to give the seller a reason or pay any penalties, except for the strict return shipping costs, if any. The repayment must be made no later than thirty days after the cancellation date.
Please note that the right of withdrawal generally applies if the item is “on sale, used or sold out”. However, cultural products are excluded from this clause, so we advise you not to open or unseal your game in order for the refund to be validated and effective.