Microsoft has announced the availability of Windows 11 Insider Preview Build 22621.891 and 22623.891 in the beta channel.
Task manager improvements
Microsoft has highlighted the arrival of a set of task manager improvements rolled out with this release.
Filter processes*: Microsoft brings process filtering to Task Manager. This is the main feature request from users to filter/search for processes. You can filter using binary name, PID or publisher name. The filtering algorithm matches the context keyword with all possible matches and displays them on the current page. The filter is also used when you move from one page to another. You can also use the keyboard shortcut ALT+F to focus on the filter area. This is a useful feature if you want to isolate a process or a group of processes and want to take action or simply monitor the performance of the filtered processes.
Better theme support: Microsoft has added the ability to use your favorite theme in Task Manager, regardless of which theme is active in Windows. You can set it on the Task Manager configuration page
Task Manager now also supports in-application dialog box themes. All dialogs, except “Run new task” and the Properties dialog, now support themes and adhere to the application-specific theme or Windows theme.
Enhanced Efficiency Mode Dialog Box*: Microsoft has made it easier to use Efficiency Mode and allows you to disable the confirmation dialog. You can make changes to the Performance Mode dialog box by unchecking Don’t ask me again, or you can enable/disable the Task Manager settings.
Fixes in build 22623.891:
[Barre des tches et barre d’tat systme]
- When using the bottom-right edge gesture to view quick settings, the taskbar should no longer be stuck in expanded mode (instead of disappearing in collapsed mode).
- Fixed an issue that caused the Do Not Disturb icon to disappear in Do Not Disturb mode.
- The new Show hidden icons dropdown should now be consistent with other taskbar dropdowns.
- Show hidden icons background color should now match your accent color if “Show accent color on start menu and taskbar” is enabled in Settings* > Personalization*> Colors.
- Fixed several explorer.exe crashes affecting taskbar performance.
Fixes for both Build 22621.891 and Build 22623.891:
- New! You can back up relevant settings to your Microsoft account. You can also sync these settings on any Windows device and in Microsoft Office.
- We fixed an issue affecting File Explorer. Sometimes he couldn’t find the files.
- We fixed an issue affecting the CopyFile function. It could sometimes have returned error 317*: ERROR_MR_MID_NOT_FOUND.
- We fixed an issue affecting process creation. Sometimes the function failed to create security audits for that and other related audit events.
- We fixed an issue that affected landscape printing in Microsoft Edge. The printout was incorrect. This issue occurred when you were using Microsoft Defender Application Guard.
- We fixed an issue that affected Microsoft Defender when it was not the primary antivirus. Microsoft Defender could not disable passive mode. This issue occurs when you disable Smart App Control (SAC).
- We added .wcx to the list of dangerous extensions that some application control policies do not allow.
- We fixed an issue affecting a computer account. Using non-standard characters can stop the cleaning of Out of Box Experience (OOBE) accounts.
- We fixed an issue affecting the Windows Firewall service. It would not start when you enabled the Ignore Blocking Rules option.
- We fixed an issue that could affect apps running on Windows Lockdown Policy (WLDP). They could have stopped working.
We are investigating reports that audio has stopped working for some Insiders in recent versions of the beta channel.
[Barre des tches et barre d’tat systme]
- The taskbar sometimes flickers when switching from desktop to tablet position.
- The taskbar takes longer than expected to switch to the touch-optimized version when switching between desktop and tablet position.
[Gestionnaire des tches]
- [NOUVEAU] Filtering by publisher name does not match correctly on the Processes page.
- [NOUVEAU] Some services may not appear on the Services page after applying filtering.
- [NOUVEAU] If a new process starts while a filter is defined, this process can appear for a fraction of a second in the filter list.
- [NOUVEAU] Delete key and tooltip do not work on filter input box.
- [NOUVEAU] Some dialog boxes may not appear in the correct theme when used from the Settings page of Task Manager.
- [NOUVEAU] The data content area on the Processes page may flash once when theme changes are applied to the Settings page in Task Manager.
- [NOUVEAU] We are investigating an issue where Task Manager does not display light and dark content correctly, resulting in unreadable text. This happens when your mode in Settings > Personalization > Colors is set to Custom – as a workaround for now, change it to Light or Dark.
What do you think of the task manager improvements? Which do you find most interesting?