Microsoft’s CEO has confidence in the Activision takeover

While the EU has opened an investigation and the US competition authority has opened proceedings, Microsoft says it is confident of its takeover of Activision.

A senior Microsoft official said he was confident in his company’s ability to buy video game giant Activision Blizzard despite recent cases brought by US and European regulators.

“We are very confident in our case,” Brad Smith, president of Microsoft, told AFP on Tuesday. The US Competition Authority (FTC) launched legal proceedings last week to block the publisher’s takeover of titles such as “Call of Duty” and “Candy Crush” for $69 billion.

The European Union has launched an investigation into whether the acquisition would make Activision’s games exclusive to the Xbox, the games console marketed by Microsoft. Mr. In early December, Smith had proposed to his Japanese rival Sony, in a column published by the Wall Street Journal, a 10-year agreement that provided that any new opus of “Call of Duty” be released simultaneously on Xbox and PlayStation, the console by Sony.

“A Good Omen”

“We strongly believe that this type of acquisition, where we have more games made in-house and commit to making them available on Sony’s PlayStation over the next decade, is good for competition and good for consumers,” said Mr. Smith. “I have a good idea of ​​our prospects before I go before an administrative law judge” in the United States, he said.

Smith was speaking at a US-Africa summit in Washington, where Microsoft outlined plans to bring satellite technology to millions of unconnected Africans.

Leave a Comment