thirty-four pharmacies accused by Health Insurance of having embezzled 53 million euros

These fraudulent practices were detected by the National Health Insurance Fund after being alerted in particular by pharmacists’ unions.

Article written by

Posted

Update

Reading time : 1 min.

Thirty-four pharmacies are accused by Health Insurance of having embezzled 53 million euros in the context of fraud in antigenic tests against Covid-19 announced Wednesday July 13 Health Insurance at franceinfo, confirming information from RTL.

It was after being alerted, in particular by pharmacists’ unions, that these fraudulent practices were detected by the National Health Insurance Fund (Cnam). According to her, 90% of cases of fraud are billings for tests to Health Insurance without these tests actually being delivered to the healthcare professional. The remaining 10% are fictitious screenings.

According to a source familiar with the matter, out of the estimated damage of 53.3 million, a single Parisian pharmacy embezzled 18 million euros. Another pharmacy embezzled more than 10 million euros. In total, according to figures provided by Health Insurance, 353 pharmacies are, or have been, concerned by a control action. 150 files were closed without follow-up. Investigations are currently continuing for 169 pharmacies.

Reached by franceinfo, the president of the Union of Community Pharmacists (USPO), Pierre-Olivier Variot, talks about “scandalous practices” and “inadmissible” and calls for exemplary sanctions.

Regarding the 34 pinned pharmacies, fourteen are the subject of a criminal complaint. Four are the subject of a conventional procedure. Six are the subject of a referral to the Council of the Order of Pharmacists and three reports have been made to the Council of the Order. Finally, three financial penalty procedures were launched.

Over the past two years, 151 million antigenic tests have been carried out, for a total of four billion euros paid out by the Health Insurance.

Leave a Comment