HOME INSURANCE. Home insurance, often called multi-risk home insurance, covers material damage, but also bodily injury caused by a disaster.
[Mise à jour du vendredi 23 septembre 2022 à 09h39] Following a meeting in Bercy, officials from the insurance sector and the Minister of the Economy announced that they would contain the average increase in their tariffs to a level “below” inflation for 2022 and 2023. Concretely, the insurers have undertaken to ensure that the inflation index for the cost of insurance, calculated by INSEE, remains lower than the inflation index for 2022 and 2023, which does not exclude that certain contracts for certain customers increase more quickly, in particular “to take into account the behavior of each individual”, specified the minister. The fact remains that home insurance represents a significant cost for households. Are you looking to commit savings? Here are a few tips :
- Study the competition : the Hamon law allows you to terminate your insurance contract at any time, recalls Les Echos. After the first year of subscription, nothing prevents you from going to see if the grass is greener elsewhere. The termination will be effective after 30 days, underlines the economic daily.
- Take the time to assess the movable capital to be insured : it determines the amount of home insurance you will have to pay. “Movable goods can have an emotional value, but they must always be assessed at their real and current value”, indicates the marketing manager at Macif to Les Echos. Remember that once the contract is signed, the insurer will not cover claims for property that is not included in the document.
- Update your contract, with regard to the goods that you have been able to acquire and that you wish to insure
- Review all your contracts to avoid duplicates
- Be vigilant about the amount of the deductible: it is decisive in knowing how high you will be compensated in the event of a claim.
Home insurance offers coverage to protect the family assets, whether housing or furniture, but also the civil liability of the occupants. In the event of a claim, and depending on the guarantees taken out, this contract provides partial or total reimbursement.
Home insurance covers:
- Damage to property: residential premises, fences, retaining walls, outbuildings, veranda, garage, cellar, property development or share of common areas in a condominium.
- Damage to people.
Excluded are: buildings under construction, plantations, garden sheds, exterior pipes, lighting installation, titles and values, professional property, car. On the other hand, valuables are treated separately.
What are the guarantees ?
The main guarantees offered by a multi-risk home contract relate to fire, water damage, broken glass, frozen pipes, natural disasters, theft or vandalism. Home insurance also offers insured civil liability and privacy cover. It thus compensates material or immaterial damage caused to third parties, neighbors or visitors.
- Owners, whether they are occupants or not, are not obliged to take out a home insurance contract. Nevertheless, their responsibility will be engaged in the event of lack of maintenance at the origin of a claim.
- The co-owners are obliged to take out at least civil liability insurance.
- Finally, it remains mandatory for tenants. Failing this, he exposes himself to a possible termination of the lease. Note that if the tenant has still not presented an insurance certificate one month after the signing of the lease, the owner can completely replace him and invoice him!
The tenant signing the lease must of course pay for his insurance policy. In the case of a property, it is recommended that the bare owner and the usufructuary pay together for the protection of the walls, their personal liability and the housing container.
The price of an insurance policy depends on a number of parameters:
- the living area and the annexes,
- the adjustments made,
- the furniture,
- the amount of the deductible,
- optional guarantees.
That said, the average price on January 1, 2019 for an apartment is 225 euros per year and 370 euros for a house.
All you have to do is answer a questionnaire online or at an insurer. No proof is required, but any misrepresentation will invalidate the contract. The questions relate to the status of the occupant, his location, the composition of the dwelling, the movable capital, the desired options, etc.
The law provides for several scenarios for terminating a multi-risk home contract:
- Before the first expiry of the contract, i.e. two months before the anniversary date of its signature by registered letter with acknowledgment of receipt.
- After the first due date, at any time of the year, always by registered mail with AR. The contract ends one month after the notification.
- Following a modification aggravating a risk, for example the arrival of a new occupant or a professional activity in the accommodation
- Following the death of the insured.